Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Savile Row has a new tailor.........a woman.


So this is interesting.

This is Kathryn Sargent.

She is Savile Row's first female master tailor.

Take that in for a second.

First woman on Savile Row in 213 years of the street being used by tailors. In 2016, a woman has opened a business tailoring suits and this is the first woman. I'm amazed.

I'm also amazed that no one seems to be mentioning this.

It's assumed that Savile Row is for men. Men who like suits. Men who pay money for suits. So in this, a woman can surely not design a suit that a man's man would like!?!? How would she know how to cut it?!

Yeah, a man owns agent provocateur.
Yeah, most designers of women's clothing are male (okay since you asked, J W Anderson, Dolce and Gabbana, Henry Holland.....)
Yeah, a man owns half the high street (Philip Green)


So making that as an argument doesn't cut it.

Although Sargent is opening on Savile Row, she wants her suits to be gender neutral and available for men and women. She believes her gender is secondary to the news of her opening her new premise at number 37.  “I am thrilled to be making history, although for me being a woman is incidental. I am a tailor first and foremost.”

Actually, I think you'll find that your being a woman is what makes the story 'woman opens shop' more remarkable. If this wasn't incredible in 2016, then no one would bat an eyelid. This happens every week all over London that someone somewhere opens a store and happens to be a woman. But here? It's rare.

I wish her all the best. I think it's wonderful. I just think its a shame that it has taken 213 years to make this happen.

*Also, her suits start at 4,200 a go so I might not be popping down there anytime soon with my broke ass.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar